In Adventure Story, Action Commands are additional timed inputs that when successful, will benefit the player in some way. When Action Commands for skills are succeeded, it usually increases the Damage dealt and while being attacked, succeeding the input mitigates Damage received entirely or partially depending on the maneuver used.
'Critical!' Hits (formerly called Excellent Hits pre v1.2.43) are executed when the player uses a skill. A 'Critical!' Hit occurs by clicking within a limited time window, and when successful, will increase the effectiveness of the skill. The Damage displayed to the right of a skill during selection shows its 'Critical Hit!' Damage.
- Certain skills have additional effects from Critical Hits other than increased Damage. Savage Hit for example, will also inflict Stun if 'Critical!' in addition to higher Damage.
- The time window of the Critical Hit is typically just before the skill deals Damage. Skills such as Bomb Toss are an exception to this trend.
- Certain skills such as Self Buffing and Summoning skills do not have an Action Command.
Dodging can be performed once an enemy starts attacking and sometimes ineffective against certain enemy attacks. A dodge can be executed by jumping right before the enemy hits you and when successful, the player will fully evade the effects of the attack.
Dodging contributes to the progress of dodging related badges.
- Being inflicted with Stun or Stuck prevents dodging.
- Not all enemy skills can be dodged, and blocking would be used instead.
- A successful dodge is determined if the player avoids contact with the skill's hitbox. Therefore, the timing window is different for each attack.
Added in v1.2.38, Blocking is an alternative Action Command that can be executed just as the enemy is about to deal Damage. Unlike dodging, it is universally effective against any enemy attack. A Block can be done by clicking right before the enemy hits you and when successful, will half the Damage receive (rounded down). A successful Block will also prevent inflicting Stun and Stuck statuses on the player. The Blocking is active 1/6th of a second.
Blocking contributes to the progress of blocking related badges.
- Being inflicted with Stun prevents blocking.
- Being inflicted with Stuck will always prompt to block rather than dodge.
- Bedrock's Boss Cheat: Shockwave, cannot be blocked.
- Blocking can also mitigate other effects of certain enemy skills such as the amount of Cents lost from Steal and Savage Steal.
- Defense is calculated before the block mitigation, so the effectiveness of the player's Defense is halved when a block is successful.